Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday 20th April - Leaving Alice Springs

Yesterday afternoon I was exploring the town and taking some pictures when I stumbled upon the Botanic gardens of Alice Springs. The place was deserted apart from the odd Aboriginal and the whole place had a kind of 'the hills have eyes' feeling about it. I walked the sand path leading to the rocks where there are some labelled plants and shrubs etc. Still nobody about. I got to a rock face and wanted to climb up to check out the view but there was a sign saying that you have to keep off the rocks because of the snakes and goannas (what are they??). I was a bit disappointed at that but being in the middle of knowhere on my own this probably isnt the place to get into trouble.

Anyway, walking about 50 metres down the rock face there was a track called the Alice Mayer hike, which apparently takes around 35 minutes and leads you straight up the rocks.......which is odd considering the sign!.. But anyway, even though it was around 30-35C I had enough water so was quite keen climbing it. I headed up the rocks trying to watch the floor so I didnt stand on any snakes, and in front of me so I didn't catch any webs. Probably being a bit paranoid but there was nobody I could see for a long way.. I felt like a bit of an adventurer. About 20 minutes up the rocks you get to the summit which was amazing! Complete 360 degree views of the town surrounded by the rocks. It was a really spectacular sight! I took a load of photos but the sun was just where the town was so I couldn't get any decent pictures of that.

So today, after another fried breakfast, I'm going to head up there again to take some better photos and explore a bit more. Was tempted to go up for the sunrise but they wont let you up there when its that early as apparently the bugs etc come out then, when its cool. I checked out the old town jail earlier as well (or Gaol) as it is here in Oz. That was interesting. Just been finishing my book around lunch time cos the sun is way too hot. In a couple of hours I'll head back up to the view. Then around 6 I'm getting on the train to Darwin.

I also tried to upload some photos but I dont think the internet connection here can handle it so I will do it later on when the connection is faster. Just found a good book on the exchange shelf at the hostel so I will have to hurry up and finish my one so I can swap it. Am just reading the book version of the film 21. It's really good and makes me want to go back to Vegas!

Anyway, hope everyone is good.

Bye for now

No comments: