Saturday, April 25, 2009

Happy Anzac day!




Hi, hope everyone is well.


Today is a national holiday in Oz, to remember people who died in WWI. Although, it seems like an excuse for a big piss-up for most people as the pubs are full and everyone seems pretty merry.

Today has been a good day so far! Just when you start thinking things are getting a bit dull loads of offers come your way!

A girl I was chatting to on the Ghan train from Alice Springs, Eleana, is here in Darwin. She is from Holland. I saw her yesterday and she wanted to know if I like camping. I do. Her and her dorm-mate Andy, from Germany, were thinking of going to Kakadu national park for a couple of days and finding someplace to camp there for a couple of nights. Sounds good! We looked into renting a car but had some difficulty as it was already 8pm Friday night, the day before a public holiday. We didn't really get far. The 3 of us had a chat about it and Andy has to be back for work on monday and doesn't really want to pull a sicky. Even so, since the offer is still good me and Eleana are picking up a rental car tomorrow morning and heading to the park. She has the tent, so all I have to bring is some food and drink. Pretty good deal!

Also, I got a reply from the guy who posted the lift offer to Cairns! I was getting a little put-off cos I had applied to a couple of other posts since then from other people and nobody was really replying. Two Swiss guys (with hard to pronounce names) offered me a space in there car but they are leaving tomorrow morning and I've already agreed to the camping! Damn. But shortly after the English guy, Liam, called me to ask if I still needed a ride. He is pretty flexible on times so we agreed to leave Tuesday morning. I think we arrive back from camping to drop off the rental car at around 8.30am Tues, and I'm meeting Liam around 9am I think. So no shower for a LOOOONNNG time. I'm sure I will make a great impression. Going to have to try and hunt down some showers in the park.

So, had a quick chat with Liam this morning and all sounds pretty promising. He has a Subaru 4x4 and is heading to Townsville (not too far from Cairns). That's good enough, I can make my way from there on the train. It's a fair old drive at 2500km, so between the two of us (unless there are others?) it will probably take 3-5 days I suppose. Depends how much we drive. He has a tent and camping stuff so we will find some places to sleep. Sounds like fun!

I think being more spontaneous is working out well!
Just off to an outdoor cinema this evening and then going to pack and stuff ready for an early start tomorrow to the park!


Will keep you posted on the roadtrip the next time I can get online. That may be in Townsville at the weekend.


Bye for now!

No comments: